After 3 days of raining I finally was able to bring the main bed assembly up to the house to get ready for the final assembly and installation.
The first thing I did was place the main assembly face down on the floor and set the outer case verticals on each side. After inseting the pivot pins of each vertical into the mating piece on the bed frame I used the E-clips to lock them in place.
I then placed the head board in position and since I did not have one clamp that would span the entire width I used 2 pipe clamps and gently pulled the sides tight to the head board that I had previously positioned with biscuts on each side.
The orginal plans called for the assembly to be done by screwing from the outside of the vertical into the ends of the head board but not wanting to have any screw heads showing I had previously drilled 6 pocket holes on each end of the head board and now I assembled it with those pocket screws.
I then stood the cabinet verticals with the head board attached up and attached the top header that will be used to firmly attach the bed outer cabinet to the wall.
Once the header was attached I removed the bed stops and raised the main bed assembly pushing it into the cabinet past flush and attached the gas pistons.
Once that was done I pushed the bed firmly against the wall and positioned it where I wanted and then using the back rail on the header attached it to the wall into 3 studs using 3” screws.
This is the bed ready to have the pistons installed. I have removed the bed stops and pushed into the cabinet past vertical so that the pistons will easily install.
After the bed cabinet was attached to the wall I pulled the bed down and reinstalled the bed stops and put the panels in that the mattress rests on and installed the elastic straps that will hold the mattress in place.
I then raised the bed making sure there was an even reveal on both sides and also checking to see that the locking legs worked properly and that the latches were functional.
I then let the main occupant test out the bed to make sure she was satisfied before making up the bed completely.
I must say that once I was able to get the bed into the house it only took about an hour to have it completely installed and ready for use.
I now have two 24” side cabinets to build that will sit on each side of the bed.
I am really pleased at how this part of the project progressed from start to finish. I am looking forward to getting started on the cabinets in the next couple of days and will be doing some design work as I go off of the basic plans that I have. I am going to be installing some 100 yr old leaded glass doors in the upper part of the cabinet and will be putting in drawers in the lower part.
On the right hand cabinet I will have to modify the bottom area to account for a heat/ac outlet that will be directly under the cabinet. This was unavoidable as there was not other wall in the room that was big enough to handle the entire project.
-- Gene Miller - it only took me 3 days 9 hours and 28 minutes to get that top flat!