Well today I went out and bought myself a good respirator to use when spraying paint and lacquer.
Then after getting back home I went out and put some mineral spirits in my new spray gun and set up a large piece of cardboard and went to adjusting and practicing. I think I have the air adjustments very close to what needs to be when I actually start spraying the lacquer. I will just have to spend a few minutes adjusting the material flow once I get real lacquer in the gun.
I also fiddled with the patterns of spray to see how they will be and got a feel for the 2 stage trigger on the gun.
The truth will be in the pudding so they say and I am hoping the I have good luck with the process. I think if I do not try to apply too much material and take my time I should get some good results. Even if I have to put on an extra coat or two I will not be disappointed as long as I get a nice looking finish without any runs.
The runs are what I am most fearful of. My last spray experience was with marine polyurethane and a gravity feed gun that was not the highest quality and unfortunately I made some extra work for myself by applying too much material and having to remove some runs.
I will post an update tomorrow after my initial run. Wish me luck.
-- Gene Miller - it only took me 3 days 9 hours and 28 minutes to get that top flat!