It has been a long time since I started this blog and I thought I would have gotten to this stage a lot earlier. After my last posting I had to stay out of the shop for a while due to trouble with one of my feet the resulted in my having to have surgery so that set me back quite a bit. Then as I was trying to finish the board I was using my 16-32 drum sander and could not get the board to come out flat. No matter what I did it had a rock from corner to corner. I would take the machine apart and use my dial indicator to align the drum and put it back together thinking I had everything in hand only to have the same results. Finally I remembered I had an accident with this machine over a year ago that a very heavy jig I was storing on the wall above the sander had fallen and bent the conveyor drive shaft and I replaced that never thinking at the time that the conveyor bed would have been damaged but after putting a straight edge on the bed I discovered that there was a 1/32 bow in the bed on the side closest to the motor and it was perfectly flat on the open end. So I had to order a new bed and once I did that PRESTO!! all was good and the results were great.
I then got busy and got the board flat and routed the corners and routed some finger grooves in the ends and now I have the board soaking in a Mineral Oil bath. Due to the size of the board (14×24 x 3) I think it will need to soak for at least a week but I am very happy with how it turned out and due to the process I have enough material already made up and ready that I will be able to send them for Christmas a second board exactly like the first one. LOL
-- Gene Miller - it only took me 3 days 9 hours and 28 minutes to get that top flat!