Greetings & Salutations,
Well it has taken about 4 days to make all of the first glue ups.
Each row had 26 pieces in it and there were 17 rows and I wanted
each glue up to be in the clamps at least 2 1/2 – 3 hours before
I took them out.
I made 4 cauls out of 3/4 ply left over from another project and cut
them just short of the over all length on one I screwed a piece to use
as an alignment piece so the all of the final glue ups would be pretty
even on one edge.
I put a heavy coat of paste wax on the cauls and also used some
wax paper for added protection so I would not have to do a lot
of clean up.
After taking one out of the clamps and getting the next one in I used
a scraper to remove the squeeze out before it became extremely hard
which made things much easier.
I then place each glued up row on a piece of wax paper on my table saw
and placed a weight on top to discourage any bowing that might happen.
I was pretty happy with how each glue up came out. as you could
see with the cauls and clamps as I was applying pressure I would
tap each piece with a dead blow hammer to make sure it was seated.
Also you will notice that I numbered each row so that as I tend to do
sometimes I would not mix up things if I got in a hurry.
There was some unevenness after the glue up but no a lot and I was
able to run them all through my 16-32 drum sander and have them all
true and flat in only about 2 – 3 hours.
Once all of the pieces were sanded flat and even and the same thickness
I then set up my cross cut sled and trimmed one end. After checking
the length of the shortest glue up I was able to get two 4” strips from
At first I had a had the idea of making the two boards and then
turning them back to back and gluing together so that both sides
would have the monogram but decided that to sit a 8” thick block
on a counter top would be too thick to work with any comfort.
My next I idea was to make 2 blocks and have one a smooth top
for cutting cheese and bread and to put a juice groove in the top
of the second for cutting meats and other things that might be
I think this second idea is much more practical and will also make
for nice decorations on their counter top.
So now I am ready to make the second glue up and actually turn
all this into an end grain board.
I am not sure how long before my next entry as I have
to go to the foot doctor tomorrow and will be setting up
some surgery that may put me out of the shop for a couple
of weeks but I may try to get some work done yet today.
Thanks for the comments and for following my project.
-- Gene Miller - it only took me 3 days 9 hours and 28 minutes to get that top flat!