I’m one step closer to being organized! I built a shelf unit to hang on a french cleat between the posts of the lumber loft.
I intentionally built it upside down. The top shelf is wider than the bottom, so there is more useable space on the bench below.
The top shelf is about 11 1/2” wide and the bottom shelf is about 6 1/2” wide. I cut a 1×8 on a taper from 1” from the left edge at one end to 1” from the right at the other end, making 2 (mostly) identical trapezoids. I edge glued a 1×6 to the square side of each trapezoid, for the sides.
For the shelves, I edge glued 2 1×6s and a 1×8, so when I ripped the glued up panel, I got 2 shelves that fit the depth of the sides at equal distances above and below the midpoint of the shelving unit. The top and bottom came from one rip cut, and the upper and lower shelves came from a second rip cut.
I backed the unit with pegboard leaving a foot of pegboard below the bottom shelf, added the french cleat and 2×2 spacer. When the other half of the french cleat was mounted on the posts, I began to notice how much weight the unit had gained. To be sure that the cleat would hold the weight, I added some blocks below the cleats on the posts. I still wasn’t sure how I’d get the unit 7 feet above the floor to hang it, but by starting with the unit resting on its top on the platform of cinder blocks I used to get high enough to mount the cleat on the posts, I sort of rolled the unit onto its face on the bench, rolled it again to its base (the skinny end, remember) with the pegboard tail in the way the whole time. After I maneuvered the end of the cleat around the truss, I gave it a mighty heave, hoping the cleat would catch it, and that I wouldn’t end up with a herinia or buried under a shelving unit on the floor.
-- (- |: \,/