Well, the woodworking part is finally done. Just the final finishing left!
This will be the last post in this blog. The next time you see it it will be 100% complete and posted as a project!
Here I’m mocking up the position of the legs to measure the lengths for the apron pieces
Then it was back to the router table using the same jigs I used to do the aprons on the chairs, but this time for the aprons on the table.
Then I got the length for the cross pieces and the hanger bolts. I want to make the legs removable or else it would be too difficult to move.
Here is the cross piece mounted to a leg. I made a large hole in the cross piece to be 100% sure that any leg will fit in any corner of the table.
Here is the final mock up before I attach the apron permanently.
Here is one corner after the apron is permanently glued and screwed. You can see the holes on the edge of the aprons. I used a brad point bit the get a flat bottomed hole. Then drilled a clearance hole for the screw body. I used metal screws because they were flat under the head so I could apply them very tightly. If I were to use flat head wood screws, the angle under the screw head could have acted like a wedge and split the wood.
You can see on the cross piece that I used flat head wood screws but with a washer under the head to prevent splitting. The only reason I did that was because I didn’t have the correct length screw. I will replace then I get the right length screws.
There is also about a 1/8” gap between the cross piece and the leg.
I was lucky enough to be able to take the steel extenders off my existing table and use them. It’s the only part of this entire job that I didn’t have to make myself.
Well that’s it. Almost 2 months work!
I hope that you enjoyed following along as much as I enjoyed blogging about it.
Now on to my next project!
You can see the finished project HERE.
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX