Woodworking almost done!
The material for the splines is just some mahogany. I cut a bunch of strips and then ran it through the drum sander to get to to just the right thickness. You can see here how I let it run long and trimmed it at a 45. Then added a 45 to the piece butting up to it. This will add a little more rigidity to the corners where the trim piece meet.
I put the groove in the trim pieces a little lower from the top surface so that when installed they would be just barely proud of the surface of the top. This allows me to remove material from the trim to bring it down to the top. Otherwise I might sand through the veneer getting them perfectly even.
Then a little clamp madness!
You might remember this from a project I posted a couple of years ago.
Well that’s what I’m going to use to cut down the trim. That and my compression router bit.
Here’s the plain Jane before the finish. Kind of boring:
After all the trim was added I wanted to get a coat of finish on to “lock in” the surface of the top.
Another note about the splines. I will also be using them on one of the top pieces and on one edge of each of the leaves. This will serve to lock the pieces together and make sure that the top surfaces remain level and flush to one another.
It’s turning out pretty good, if I do say so myself.
Next time I install the apron under the table, and that will be the end of the wood working.
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX