Well, at long last I am finally done with the chairs, but I still have the table to go.
This last my last blog on the chairs. I will continue with the table though until all is complete.
Here I start just like the seat. The foam stapled to the form.
Then the batting
Then some simple fitting, since I don’t have to worry so much about the corners. They will be concealed in the rabbet.
Front side all done.
Then the back. Since there was no foam or batting I just used some 77 spray adhesive. It made it a real quick and simple job. The edges won’t ever peel up since they are held in by the rabbet. It will also make sure that it will conform to the seat back.
And here you go! You are not going to believe how I attached the backs. After some experimentation I found that a brad nailer diagonally through the back and into the seat rails would leave no marks or ruin the fabric. The brad just popped right through the fabric and disappeared.
There are a couple of firsts here for me in this project. These are the first chairs I have ever built and the first time trying to upholster anything.
Now on to my first dining table!
Oh, and did I mention that they are so comfortable that people won’t be so quick to leave the table after a meal!
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX