It took me a while to figure out how I was going to do the back. I had some 3/8” bending plywood, but it took too much force to keep it bent.
I thought about laminating a bunch of thin material, but that would be a lot of resawing, plus my bandsaw is limited to 12” and the back is 13 1/4”.
What I came up with is a sort of glued tambour.
I took a 2×10 piece of southern yellow pine and cross cut into pieces 30” long and then ripped then into 5/16” thick pieces and then cut those in half again.
You can see the larger pieces on the left and the final sized pieces on the right.
I wanted a lot of glue surface so I used a roundover bit on both sides of one edge and then a ball bit on the other.
You can see from the picture that no matter how they mated up I would get a lot of surface area for glue.
Well, after a lot of cutting and routing, here are the over 200 pieces I would need. They were cut in half to 15” pieces after all the routing was done.
It would seem that I am a glutton for punishment, huh?
Then I made a jig to glue them into the shape I wanted. I put clear packing tape on the bottom ribs and rubbed a candle on the top ribs to keep the glue from sticking to anything.
Worked perfect and fit the back exactly!
Once I had the first on cut to size I just used it to trace the cut on the others. I cut them all on the bandsaw since they were getting covered up anyway. I cut the length a little short for any expansion of the wood.
The part is just sitting there in the back. It fit surprisingly well. It’s very comfortable to sit in as it is.
Next is the final operation. The upholstery and then I will finally be done with them.
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX