It seemed like the sanding and sanding and sanding again; applying finish over and over again would never end, but it finally did!
Now back to the fun part. Assembly!
Here are the legs all finished
And one stack of the backs. You will notice no poly finish on the inside and parts that will get glue during assembly.
The first thing I did was to assemble the front legs to the front apron. I did this first because it was easy and secondly
it would make the final glue up real easy also.
You see here that only two sets of clamps were needed for the final assembly.
This angle really gives you a good view of the curved back and the lumbar support.
Also to make sure that everything was glued up square I made a jig that I clamped to the back apron. It fits tightly between the back legs. There is a gap between the front legs so that if needed, I could add a cross clamp to being it into square by making the gaps even. Actually I make it a little uneven to allow for some spring back once the clamps are removed.
Lastly I used some very smooth thin pieces of wood under the clamps in the back. They would conform the curves in the backs of the legs without leaving marks, as the clamps would.
Next I will add the corner blocks and the chair seat. Getting close!
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX