LumberJocks

A new dining room set for my wife! #21: Top of the chair, Mate!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by GaryK posted 05-13-2011 12:02 AM 1487 reads 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 20: Corners, corners and more corners! Part 21 of A new dining room set for my wife! series Part 22: The crest rail addition. Filling it up. »

Right now the chairs are kind of plain with the straight, square top of the back. I plan to add something to change that.

First I start out with that material I was gluing up a post or two ago. (see I was actually thinking ahead!)

The material I used must have been on the top of the pallet because it had very dark staining. Some places as deep as about 1/4”.

The material I need for this step is thicker than any I had, so what I did was to glue up the two pieces with the stained faces facing out. Then I just cut off both the faces and ended up with some nice clean wood. So I killed two birds with one stone. Used some nasty stained wood and made some extra thick stock.

I cut it into strips. Since I only had a few pieces to make I didn’t bother with the dado blade. I just started with a cut in the middle and ran both sides of the part against the fence to center the dado. I think it tool a total of 4 passes moving the fence a little farther away every time until I ended up with a nice perfectly centered dado.

While I did that I also did the top rail for the back of the chair. You can see it on the right.

Then I cut all the parts to length and at the correct angles.

Then I made a little fixture for gluing the parts up. It was real quick to make with some glue and a brad nailer. The gaps and holes are for the glue squeeze out. Those extra little blocks are to give me something to clamp against. You’ll see in the last picture. I also clamped it to the table to make sure that it was nice and flat.

To make sure dados the lined up I made some little triangles the fit the dado just perfectly. I notched the point of the triangles so that they wouldn’t get any glue on them. Here is a mock-up for the gluing.

Here you can see the parts all glued and clamped. You can see what those little block are for. The clamp in the middle is just to hold the center part in place while the clamps on the ends are applying the pressure.

Since I have only one fixture and 8 parts to glue up, I decided to do some finish sanding while the parts dried.
(have I mentioned that I hate sanding?)

I wet the legs to raise the grain and sanded them once dry. Then I cut them to final length, so minus the finish and assemble they are finally done.

Next time I’ll show you the last piece for the top of the chair.

-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX



7 comments so far

View Scott Bryan's profile

Scott Bryan

27251 posts in 2576 days


#1 posted 05-13-2011 12:20 AM

This glue-up jig is a nice piece of engineering. Too often, at least for me, I find myself trying to find the most expeditious means to get through an awkward glue-up. Obviously you have given this some thought and come up with a good looking jig. I will have to file this one away for future reference (if I can remember it, that is. :)

-- Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful- Joshua Marine

View Karson's profile

Karson

34916 posts in 3154 days


#2 posted 05-13-2011 01:07 AM

Great looking Gary.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware karson_morrison@bigfoot.com †

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

6704 posts in 2733 days


#3 posted 05-13-2011 02:05 AM

Nice Gary.

Sometimes thinking ahead really pays off, huh?

I gonna try it.

Lee

-- by Lee A. Jesberger http://www.prowoodworkingtips.com http://www.ezee-feed.com

View Maddhatter's profile

Maddhatter

126 posts in 2331 days


#4 posted 05-13-2011 03:46 AM

Gary, great job, look forward to future posts.

-- Norm (AKA - The Maddhatter), Middletown DE

View SteveL's profile

SteveL

143 posts in 2522 days


#5 posted 05-13-2011 07:51 AM

Now I see what all those legs were for. Hadn’t occurred to me that you meant to make chairs to match the table. Very nice!—S.

-- SteveL

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

10262 posts in 2742 days


#6 posted 05-13-2011 07:58 AM

SteveL – Hmm… I don’t remember saying that anywhere. I haven’t even built the table yet. That’s the last thing I’ll do.

All the legs are for 8 chairs.

I do plan on making the table match the chairs though. :-)

-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX

View Ken90712's profile

Ken90712

15337 posts in 1942 days


#7 posted 05-13-2011 11:49 AM

Lesson learned here is the thought you put in on the making jigs. I like the holes in the jig which I take is to let the extra glue go somewhere. Great series.

-- Ken, "Everyday above ground is a good day!"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase