It may seem like I’m hopping back and forth between different parts of this project. Well, you’re right.
As of yet I haven’t decided exactly how I’m going to do the back legs.
I also just wanted to get the front legs out of the way. They are by far the most work in this project, as you can tell.
I wanted also to get some of the more difficult aspects of this project behind me.
And here they are. All the completed parts ar at that end of the table. You can see I’m gluing up some more material in the back ground.
Back to the back legs. The first thing I wanted to do is to make them exactly the same length and I also wanted to change the angle at the top end of the chair. I just used a piece of scrap to help position the piece.
Since I’m going to upholster the chairs I will need a couple of rails crossing from one leg to the other top and bottom.
I was going to use a router to make the mortises as you can see in the picture below:
For whatever reason I don’t really care for mortises with rounded ends, so I decided to use the mortising machine again. What I did was to add some hardwood along the inside of the holes I already made. Since I am going to use the back fence on the mortising machine I am really only using the ends as stops for the length of the mortise.
The lower mortise was easy since I had a nice flat surface to rest against the fence. The top was another matter. What I ended up doing was to position it by eye the first time and then used a blue felt tipped pen to trace out the part. When I did the next part I just made sure that I had a even spacing and that was it.
Here they are all done.
That was the last operation that I needed to do with the part being able to lie flat. Next I will taper the legs.
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX