Well, It’s been a while, huh? I’ve been doing the “not too much fun” part of the job. Shaping the legs.
I basically worked on four legs a day, sometimes taking a day off in between. Once I get over this hump it will be downhill. I think :-)
I last left off using the Legacy mill. Here’s what I came up with.
Not too bad.
Now for the next step I had to use a lathe. (bummer!) It’s the only way (other than doing it by hand) to shape the transition from the round part to the bottom of the curved “foot” part. I left the part long on both ends so that I could hold it in the lathe for shaping. I will trim both ends as the last step. I used a rasp to rough off a lot of the material from the legs. Mostly the square corners left over from the bandsaw cutting.
Then I used my cheap belt sander. The brand name is Reliant. I got it about 10-12 years ago. It looks like what they sell at Harbor Freight, but it has always worked for me.
The diameter at the end works perfectly for shaping the “instep” of the foot. After that I basically just smoothed out the surface from using the rasp. I’m not even trying to get the final shape here. Just kinda close. I will finish shaping and sanding as one of the last steps. I still have to glue the knee extensions on, which I will need before I can do the final shaping.
Next I get to use my square chisel mortiser (also called hollow chisel mortiser) to make some mortises. I set up a stop at one end with a small clamp. The other I just scribed and eye-balled.
You can get tired of doing 16 of everything. I got one mortise in each leg. This is the first one with both.
I think I will wait until tomorrow to finish the rest. That unless I get ambitious tonight to finish the rest:
Until next time!
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX