Looking at all my other projects, you all probably know that I like the look and working with mahogany. So It should not come as a surprise to anyone what I will be making this project from.
Making the chairs will be something new for me. I have never made one before, let alone 6-8 of them.
After studying my current chairs and plans for others, it shouldn’t be too hard.
Making so many of something as complex as a chair I will be making templates for everything.
I want all the pieces to be as close as I can make them to each other. This is where templates and jigs come in to play.
Here’s what I made for the back leg.
Since I am throwing it away after I am done with it, I didn’t put too much time and effort into it.
I started on the left side and did one side and the ends. Then I used to other side for the opposite side of the leg. I just moved the clamps when I switched sides.
You can see a leg in the jig with the template resting on top of it. You will notice some blocks glued to the top of the right side. These are to line up the previously cut side with the template. The part and the template both butt against them.
The template is 1/2” MDF which is clamped to the top of the leg blank. Then it’s cut using a bearing guided router bit.
Here’s the bit and a little bit of mess:
And some more of the mess. Sitting on the floor is a test piece I made the check out the curve of the back. It was very comfortable.
Here are all the legs I made. Enough for 8 chairs. I really only need 6 but I have two extra in case I screw something up along the way. If not I get two extra chairs.
Next I will start on the front cabriole legs. They will be the most time consuming part of the entire project.
I started this blog after having already made the back legs so it will be a little while before I get back for the next installment.
-- Gary - Never pass up the opportunity to make a mistake look like you planned it that way - Tyler, TX