LumberJocks

Stickley High Chest

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Greg updated 02-28-2011 09:04 PM 5 parts 8053 reads 16 comments total

Part 1: Dry fit

01-17-2011 10:28 PM by Greg | 7 comments »

This is my first furniture grade woodworking project that I have done in about 10 years. The chest is dry fit together in my basement. I brought all the pieces in from my cold, northern ohio, un-insulated barn. I created my own plans based off of pictures in another post on LJ and from a picture of a similar chest on the L&JG Stickley website. It is made from Walnut that my father-in-law gave me. He figured that it had been drying in his barn for longer than I’ve been alive. ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Drawers

01-18-2011 11:40 PM by Greg | 2 comments »

All the drawers have been cut, dovetailed, and glued. I struggled a bit with the dovetails. I used a dovetailing jig and started with an older router that I have. I finished a couple of drawers and then my router bit started moving from the center of the bushing to the edge. I had to scrap the drawer sides from one of the smaller drawers. Luckily, I didn’t screw-up on the walnut front. The particular router (1.5 hp Ryobi with plastic threaded height adjustment) that I started with doesn...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Request for advice on dovetailed drawer slides

01-24-2011 08:42 PM by Greg | 1 comment »

I am going to start in on making my dovetail drawer slides today. I haven’t found much info on LJ or the rest of the web on tips, tricks, and rules of thumb. I made up a couple practice slides the other day and they seem to work well (unmounted), but I still have some questions: 1. How many slides (under mounted) should I use? An antique dresser we have uses one down the center and a newer dresser we have has two. The drawer size on both are approximately the same. The drawers ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Pieces

02-16-2011 03:56 AM by Greg | 0 comments »

I’ve finally had some off of work to get back to this project. I finished the sliding dovetail drawer slides. Hopefully they’ll operate smoothly when I put slippit on them. Their motion is a little rough for now. The pictures show some of the details of construction that aren’t evident in the previous dry fit pictures. These pictures are post-sanding. I sanded every thing with 150, then 220, and then 320 grit. I then vacuumed off all the dust and wiped it all down w...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Almost done

02-28-2011 09:04 PM by Greg | 6 comments »

This is the last entry in this series of blogs. My next post will be in the Projects post as the completed project. All that remains is sanding the top with lubricated 600 grit sand paper and installing some drawer stops. I did have a couple of set backs that I had to work through:1. The bottom drawer did not slide very well. The dovetailed drawer slide was binding when moving the drawer in and out. I had removed a little material from the part of the slide that attached to the dus...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase