Stickley High Chest #5: Almost done

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Greg posted 02-28-2011 09:04 PM 2061 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Pieces Part 5 of Stickley High Chest series no next part

This is the last entry in this series of blogs. My next post will be in the Projects post as the completed project. All that remains is sanding the top with lubricated 600 grit sand paper and installing some drawer stops.

I did have a couple of set backs that I had to work through:
1. The bottom drawer did not slide very well. The dovetailed drawer slide was binding when moving the drawer in and out. I had removed a little material from the part of the slide that attached to the dust frame so that the drawer would sit a little lower. I did this by chiseling off about a 1/16” from the front and back of the slide piece. I didn’t do too well chiseling by hand. The slide piece did not sit flat on the dust frame which caused it to be slightly twisted when installed. I removed the old dovetailed slide and replaced it with another (I’m glad I made extras when I made them). I removed the 1/16” of material from the second slide using the table saw (much flatter result). The bottom drawer now works fine.

2. I got a little too anxious on applying the poly. In an effort to try to speed up my progress, I applied another coat to the top before it was ready. This resulted in heavy brush marks. I had to do some heavy sanding to get the top looking nice again.

3. The shades of wood don’t match too well. From the picture, you can see that the top 4 drawers are a bit darker than the bottom 3 drawers. I don’t know why. I guess the lumber just came from a different part of the tree or from a different tree all together. The difference is much more noticeable in a picture (I suppose it’s exacerbated by the flash). When the lumber didn’t have any finish on it, I couldn’t tell the difference at all with the naked eye but it was barely apparent on a picture.

4. The drawer pulls I wanted were $20 each. I finally found some pulls that weren’t exactly like I wanted but at about $5 each, they were a good compromise.

I also learned a few things from this project:
1. How to make dovetailed drawer slides. Application of slippit on the slides makes a night and day difference.
2. How to fill a loose knot hole with epoxy (I used epoxy, dust from sanding, and a black powder dye)
3. Don’t rush the coats of finish.

-- Greg - For the benefit and enjoyment of the people

6 comments so far

View Bertha's profile


13528 posts in 2691 days

#1 posted 02-28-2011 09:11 PM

Absolutely spectacular. I love every aspect of it.

-- My dad and I built a 65 chev pick up.I killed trannys in that thing for some reason-Hog

View NewOkieWoodshop's profile


1 post in 2662 days

#2 posted 02-28-2011 09:29 PM

Great Job! Really nice work. I am new to this blog and enjoyed reading all your project posts. Thanks for taking the time to blog it.

View jeffbranch's profile


110 posts in 2650 days

#3 posted 03-01-2011 01:23 AM

I think it looks great. I did not notice the different wood tones until reading about it. Probably most people that see it won’t even notice. Beautiful color.


View CaptainSkully's profile


1598 posts in 3556 days

#4 posted 03-01-2011 05:08 AM

A breathtaking heirloom!

-- You can't control the wind, but you can trim your sails

View Greg's profile


24 posts in 2690 days

#5 posted 03-02-2011 08:12 PM

Thankyou all for your comments. I did have a little more trouble with the finish on the top. Came out a bit milky…sanded it down and poly’ed it again.

-- Greg - For the benefit and enjoyment of the people

View Beginningwoodworker's profile


13345 posts in 3671 days

#6 posted 03-03-2011 06:03 AM

Looks good!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics