LumberJocks

TV Stand

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Angela updated 01-09-2012 03:09 AM 9 parts 24615 reads 28 comments total

Part 1: Progess is very slow...cutting the new plywood, the angles and the splines

08-09-2011 12:10 AM by Angela | 1 comment »

This is actually the second in the series but I didn’t understand how the blog system works. The first in the series is a separate blog entitled TV stand. I will eventually put this on my website in more detail but here’s a shorter version of some of the problems and success of making my TV stand. I wish I had some plans or I had more knowledge about building furniture. Because I don’t the project just isn’t moving along very fast. What started me on this project was ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Making the front face frame... Next Step..... Ideas Welcomed

08-09-2011 01:05 AM by Angela | 3 comments »

If anyone has a suggestion or idea, please feel free to add a comment. As I said I’m sort of making it up as I go along. If took me a while to decide on how to secure the face frame. As I mentioned before I received this idea from re-assembling my parents TV stand. Once thing I was surprise to notice when I disassembled theirs, was how little glue was used. I believe their TV cabinet was from Ethan Allen. I contemplated using a tenon joint, and then I settled on dowels. After thin...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Moving along...gluing corners, cutting bottom and shelf.

08-11-2011 10:50 PM by Angela | 4 comments »

In planning to glue to corners I cut some angle blocks to assist in holding the clamps in place. I also used a special clamp for angles that I highly recommend if you have to glue up unusual corners or large miter corners. I then tried to figure out how to cut the bottom and shelf. I decided to use my circular saw. Before having a table saw, I used a circular saw to cut the wood so I have a good blade for plywood. I also own a forrest blade but I didn’t use it for this, d...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Bottom and Shelf added

08-14-2011 02:05 AM by Angela | 2 comments »

I’m ready to add the bottom. As member GregD suggested I’m going to use Kreg pocket holes to secure the bottom and shelf in place. I cut some support boards at a height that would allow me to rest the bottom on them and then screw the bottom in place. I turned the work piece upside down to make it easier to screw it in place. Once the bottom was secured, I cut the support boards down to the height I needed for them to support the shelf. I then installed the shelf...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Problems with the top....and the heat

08-18-2011 09:30 PM by Angela | 10 comments »

HeatWell I haven’t written an update because it’s been too hot in my garage in So. Ca. I have a detached, 1938, garage without air condition. The heat never bothered me but as I get older it’s been getting to me. ProblemsAnother problem I’m having is with the top of the TV stand. I mentioned before that I purchased 14’ of 6/4 African mahogany rough wood. I cut the wood into 3 pieces. (4’, 4’, and 6’) Because it’s been about 100 degrees in my garage, I decided to take it to my local lumb...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Finally gluing up the top

09-02-2011 03:19 AM by Angela | 1 comment »

I last left off where my boards for the top where seriously warped. I also was waiting for my new jointer. I received my new Powermatic Jointer and I love it. I wish I knew how to use it better but it will come in time. Jointing ProblemOne question I wondered about it when I tried to flatten a board. I jointed just one side of the board until it was flat. The only problem was to get the board flat the jointer removed so much wood that I wasn’t able to use the board because it became to...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Cauls, jigs, molding and doors

09-15-2011 05:20 AM by Angela | 4 comments »

Bottom MoldingI cut a long piece of the African mahogany 3” wide. I original use ¾” but didn’t like the way it looked so I planed it down to 5/8”. I ran it through my router table using a Freud Roman Ogee router bit # 38362. I first cut the front piece. I used the same angles that I used on the main case. After cutting the side angles, the pieces didn’t fit based on the angles I cut them. When I glued the sides of the main case together the angles came out different from wha...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Raised Panel Doors, Soss Invisible Hinges, Table Top Edge, Getting Ready for the Finish

10-17-2011 03:14 AM by Angela | 2 comments »

Yes it’s been over a month since I’ve posted an update but I’m still working on my TV stand. Raised Panel Doors Since my last blog, I finished the raised panel portion of my doors. This is the first time I’m doing a raised panel and I was having a problem getting the panel flush with the frame. To correct this problem I disassembled the panel router bit and raised the back cutter. Now I would be able to remove more of the back. Now the panel fit exactl...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Finishing and finishing

01-09-2012 03:09 AM by Angela | 1 comment »

Finishing and finishingI have completed my TV stand and it came out better than I hoped. I learned a lot from this project and can’t wait to make my next piece of interior furniture. FinishingI wish I could say everything went off smoothly but I had a few problems finishing the project. One major problem was splotching, where one area stains dark than another. I also had a hard time learning to fill the wood. I tested about 12-15 different stains and dyes until I came across two of the...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase