So since I left off yesterday I have polished the plate some more with the Autosol/foil and it’s starting to shine.
Nice reflection but now the handle needs some attention. Both horns were chipped but not very bad. The bigger problem was that my hand was too big to hold it comfortably so I clamped the handle in the vise and hit it with some rasps to open it up a bit (continually checking the fit). By the time it was the perfect size the chips on the horns were gone but the rest of the finish needed to be sanded off. I took it down to mostly bare wood leaving a lot of the age intact then hit it with a few coats of danish oil.
Now the handle matches the plate nicely I think. Then I took my letter stamps out of the drawer and added my initials and year to the handle just to add a little history for whoever has this saw in another hundred years.
Now I have to turn my attention to cleaning the split nuts and reassembling the saw.
Then I will have another one ready and waiting for Andy’s sharpening video.
-- Greg in Ontario, Canada