Last week I went to my first auction. It was an interesting experience. They had a large selection of tools but most were power tools or socket sets (neither of what I was looking for). The main reason I went to this auction was that they were advertising lots of wood including 100bdf of rosewood. Don’t get too excited I didn’t win that lot but I did come home home with some 17” wide pine boards, 54bdf of ash and 3 sheets of cherry plywood. The ash was a whopping 20 cents a foot :)
So back to the tools… there was a box of handsaws that I bid $2 on and won.
I loaded up the truck and took my winnings home and emptied out the box of saws
A few of the handsaws are sharp enough to go straight into service but the reason I wanted this box was for the backsaw on the far right
Once I was home I took a closer look at the saw. It’s a 14” Shurly & Dietrich backsaw with a straight blade and terrible teeth. When I stood it on my tablesaw only the first and last tooth touched. The middle was 3/8” in the air and I assume it was filed crosscut but there were 3 going one way and then 2 the other and all the teeth were different sizes so I would be guessing at how many TPI this saw actually was.
This problem isn’t really a problem for me as i wanted to file it 10TPI rip anyway.
So like the last saw I took this one apart and cleaned up the plate and brass then gave the handle a sanding followed by my tinted shellac finish and wax. The spline was sticking 1/2” past the plate so I tapped it back into place with a hammer and filed the teeth away.
So now all I have left to do is put on some new teeth then set and sharpen them and I will have another saw put back into service.
-- Greg - "I wish the first word I ever said was the word 'quote' so right before I die I could say 'unquote'." -Steven Wright