As I mentioned in my last post I picked up an old Stanley #4 1/2 type 13 plane. It was completely covered in a black greasy goo but I guess that probably saved it from rusting since all the tools were stored outside at the antique store I bought them from. Here are a few before pictures (I already partially cleaned the sides of the plane before these pics.)
I brought it home and took it all apart and soaked it all in Evaporust for about 20 hours. This was my first time using it and i was very impressed with how well it cleaned the plane. After I rinsed the parts off I gave them a light coat of oil and put the plane back together after polishing the brass since I was done working with it for the week. Looks almost new already doesn’t it.
So this weekend I flattened the sole and sides of the plane and gave it a bit of a polish and then sharpened the blade which was so badly chipped it looked like a saw blade.
I put it all back together and gave it a test run. Nice even shavings.
I haven’t decided if I want to repaint the plane or not but I do need to still work on the brass adjuster knob. It is really tight and barely turns so that is a priority to fix and the tote is broken in a few places and someone tried to nail it back together so I would like to make a new set of handles for it.
Well that’s it for today I guess
-- Greg - "I wish the first word I ever said was the word 'quote' so right before I die I could say 'unquote'." -Steven Wright