LumberJocks

Dust Collector Shed #3: Siding done

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by FrogHouse posted 02-09-2018 03:05 PM 498 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: We have a door! Part 3 of Dust Collector Shed series no next part

Hey Lumberjocks. The new semester is in session and I am knee deep in assignments. (Just an FYI I am a 50 year-old student, working on getting that degree I should have gotten 30 years ago.) The good news is that I was able to finish the siding on the shed before the stuff got too deep in school. I have a couple of minutes and thought I’d share the progress.

When last I posted, I completed the siding for the door. I used some cedar trim I had hanging around from an earlier project. The trim was used as a guide to cut the door shape. It mostly worked. For the actual siding I angled reclaimed fence pickets, but when it came time for the rest of the shed I took a few days to decide how I wanted to cover it.

There were several choices available to me for the siding using the old fence pickets. I scoured over YouTube and Pinterest for different ideas. My original thought was to cut them down to shingle-sized pieces which would give an old northeast feel. Alas, I live in Texas and not sure I wanted that look. Another good choice would be to use put them angled like the front door, or even vertical. I could have also went with the overlapping horizontal. I laid a few pieces out on the bench and asked the wife her opinion. None seemed to really grab her attention.

So with school starting, I needed to get the siding on before too long. I needed something quick, easy but still had a rustic look. I decided to use the cut pieces in a horizontal pattern. I did like the weave corners I saw from the shingle videos (isn’t YouTube great). Describing a weave corner is a bit difficult, so I opted just to show it.

I didn’t use any complicated joinery for the layers. A tongue and groove, or lapped-rabbit along the edges would have provided a tight seal, but isn’t that why I put the Tyvek underneath? The most complicated thing was to ensure that each row was all the same height. Running the piece through the jointer helped ensure close to a tight fight. After I ran out of off-cuts I purposely cut long pieces and flipped it over end to continue the aesthetic. When I reached the bottom of the gable, I switched to vertical—just because. The completed look is exactly what I wanted. An old, rustic-chic cabin in the middle of the woods.

A friend commented that all it needed now was a stove pipe coming out the gable. What a great idea!!! A blackened stove-pipe would work well for the exhaust from the dust collector.

Thrilled with the completed projected I had to show-off too the wife, who promptly pointed out that it needed a door handle! So I set to work to make a temporary handle/lock for it. Wouldn’t you know, while I was making it, the wife began moving her lawn tools into it.

“It’s finished right?” she asked.
“But I made it for the dust collector!”
“Well then, you are just going to have to make me one!”

She spoke my language. For now, her gardening stuff will sit in it until I rebuild her she-shed (or so we are calling it). That will have to wait a while. I have a ton of homework to do.

Oh, here is the finished handle/lock combo I came up with. The actual handle is an old washer welded on to a lag bolt originally used in the fence.

-- -- Kirk



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com