Well, I decided to use epoxy after all, and it seems like it’s going to give the desired effect. I put a quart of epoxy on it for the first coat because I didn’t want it all to just run off the sides. After it dries I will put another quart on. It was surprisingly easy to work with, and had a pretty lengthy drying time. I used a flat block of wood to spread an even coat, and a foam brush to do the side parts.
I ran a propane torch over the surface to take out the bubbles, which did an awesome job. I am very pleased with how it’s turning out.
-- "Anyone can post a quote on the internet and attribute the quote to a famous person." -Abraham Lincoln