The bench is almost done! I added another plywood layer to each of the legs for support, and I added an accent piece to the back of the back rest for decoration and support. I had to counter-sink the holes on the sides of the bench where the threaded rod spans the length of the bench because the rod wasn’t long enough to protrude beyond the added layer of ply. I also decided to route the edges of the legs, both on the outer and inner radius’.
I really like the back accent piece, and I like the way the enlarged holes look where the threaded rod is. I sprayed two cans of shellack/sealer combination spray on, and the plywood drank it up like an Ethiopian would eat a ham sandwich. The bench will most definitely need a really thick varnish. I think I will use epoxy. I was trying to avoid epoxy because it’s really expensive, but I have spent 6 months off and on making this bench, so the 50 bucks will be worth it.
-- "Anyone can post a quote on the internet and attribute the quote to a famous person." -Abraham Lincoln