LumberJocks

Jet JBS-18 Bandsaw Restoration #2: Getting the Jet BS Up and Running

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by FreezFurn posted 235 days ago 913 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Buying the Beast Part 2 of Jet JBS-18 Bandsaw Restoration series Part 3: Reconstruction of Missing Parts and Dust Collection »

It took me quite some time to get 240v ran to the basement, but the installation of a new gas stove right above me in the kitchen could not have been better timed. So, I extended the line from the stove and added two new outlets in the ceiling of my shop. I did not want to invest too much money into a lemon, so I hesitantly hooked it up to the new wiring. It cranked up and ran very loudly with no blade. Which brings me to bearings. Here is a pic of the old upper wheel bearings. They were totally filled with sawdust and grime. I was surprised that the wheel still moved!

Be sure not to buy bearings made for a bandsaw. Bearings are bearings. I bought double shielded (rubber) thrust bearings and standard shielded (metal shields) for the upper and lower wheels. Six bearings cost me about thirtreen dollars total at Fastenal as apposed to two to three times that much on line. Just get the code from your manual and buy the cheapest you can find from a decent store.

Removing the lower drive shaft and lower bearings was a real pain, until I realized there were retainer springs holding the bearing on the shaft. Removed those and used a pulley puller to remove the drive pulley. I also used it to remove the upper and lower wheels from the axels. Here is a pic of the drive pulley and axel and the axel removed. The sawdust was so thick I did not notice the round spring keeping the bearing joined tightly to he shaft.

Here is the lower drive shaft and the old bearings.

So, I am trying to get it to run nice and smooth, right? Well, it is all disassembled, so decided that I might as well get a new link belt. Installed it and the motor would only run one out of three times. The belt seemed to be adjusted correctly, yet it would squeal loudly and strain to start. After some research, I found that the culprit could be the start capacitor. So, I ordered one for about $8 from Temco Industrial, and it arrived in 3 or 4 days. Their videos on YouTube really helped me isolate the issue. Here is a pic of the old one removed from the bump housing on the side of the motor.

More to come soon…

-- Andy (Father, Math Teacher, Coach, and occasionally... Woodworker) "You must build this Tabernacle and its furnishings exactly according to the pattern I will show you." Exodus 25:9



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase