LumberJocks

A new life for a 1/4HP motor... is going to be a diy lathe!

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by FreddyS updated 09-17-2011 08:12 PM 9 parts 38177 reads 34 comments total

Part 1: first steps

06-21-2011 05:56 PM by FreddyS | 9 comments »

Hi everyone, so I got this motor from a friend like 15 years ago, it was adapted to work as an airbrush compressor but it was not used any more. Now I decided to recycle it and use it to power some diy machines at the tiny shop. First I got a drill chuck, and a friend with a metal lathe made an adapter for it: Looking good, but the paint job is lousy … So I decided to clean the motor and paint it, while sanding it I found a tag with the motor specs. well buried behin...

Read this entry »


Part 2: change of plan, now a diy lathe and some parts for it

07-04-2011 02:24 AM by FreddyS | 6 comments »

Hi everyone, after some thinking and a lot of recent lathe work posts in a local forum, I decided to go for a mini lathe like the one in shop notes 73: So far I got some of the parts needed to build the lathe, here are some photos: All put together as a test: I had some free time so I went ahead and did the drive and cup centers, the friend who showed me the magazine also has a metal lathe so he helped with the center points: This was the easy part, now I need ...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Small work on the lathe bed and a case for the power switch

07-11-2011 06:50 PM by FreddyS | 1 comment »

Hi everyone, this weekend was raining all day long so I could only work enough to cut the plywood for the lathe bed: 1.- crosscutting plywood to length, the TS is too small to cut big plywood sheets :( 2.- ripping lathe bed parts 3.- all cuts done 4.- gluing the late bed ply sandwich 5.- gluing the lathe base ply sandwich (I have to buy more clamps!!!) 6.- checking how it will look Then the rain started again so I went to change the main wire on the motor and did the ...

Read this entry »


Part 4: The lathe bed is done!

07-18-2011 05:31 PM by FreddyS | 3 comments »

Hi everyone, rain was almost gone this weekend so I could finish the lathe bed, it nearly catches me distracted and a few drops got into the top of the bed, luckily I noticed and saved all before any damage was made hehe, here are the photos: 1 & 2.- marking the plywood, that’s where the grooves for the vertical supports will be made. 3.- setting the router bit height for the grooves, I did the 3/8” groove in two passes, and the router bit is a special one with the same ...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Small update, locking strips done

07-25-2011 08:21 PM by FreddyS | 0 comments »

Hi everyone, this weekend I decided to build the locking strips, the design calls for hardwood so tzalam wood it is, they ended looking great but it took me a little bit more than planned as I needed to adapt to the wood thickness I had at hand(1”) hehee: 1.- Some strips cut and grooved to accept the aluminum straps. Only the front strips needed the groove but I went thru all the wood, small mistake but it wont affect the result as I’m flipping the back strips so the groove...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Lathe bases done!

08-02-2011 06:54 PM by FreddyS | 4 comments »

Hi again, this weekend I managed to finish all the bases for the headstock, tailstock, tool rest and an extra horizontal drilling table I will add to the mix, some photos: I changed the tool rest arm design to match the hardware I already had (threaded knobs and JCBC allen bolts) and to make it a little bit more versatile, here is my version: Tool rest base and arm close up: So far everything looks good: There’s a lot of table saw work to be done the next wee...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Lathe uprights parts ready

08-08-2011 06:39 PM by FreddyS | 5 comments »

Hi everyone, I spent this weekend doing all the plywood cuts needed for the uprights and the rest tool, the photos:1.- headstock parts, waiting to be glued and screwed2.- tool rest, waiting for the 45ยบ cut to mount the steel wear plate3.- tailstock parts, waiting to be glued and screwed4.- tailstock locking wheel5.- the magazine says to use epoxy glue to join the wheel to the coupling nut, in my experience it does not work fine all the times so I added a couple of home made set screws (screw ...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Almost done, and a test

09-02-2011 12:59 AM by FreddyS | 3 comments »

Hi everyone, I was too busy the last couple of weeks to post an update, but here it is, small one though: Added a little handle to the hand wheel to ease the tailstock spindle adjustments. 1.- A live center my friend with a metal lathe made for me, works great but I lost 1” between points so right now it is 17”, I guess I wont miss it anyway. 2.- The only thing I had at hand to use as a lathe tool was a 1/2” chisel, I know, I know… I’ll get prope...

Read this entry »


Part 9: The first turning... an awl

09-17-2011 08:12 PM by FreddyS | 3 comments »

Hi everyone, my lathe is not finished yet as I didn’t take the spindle drawing plan to the metal lathe guy, but I couldn’t stop thinking about using it so I went ahead and turned an awl: A smaller tool rest was built to ease work with smaller wood pieces: The finished awl together with an old awl with the more usual handle shape, couldn’t copy it as the wood length was too small to maneuver, and a small wood blank the same size used for the awl (1×1 x3”): ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase