LumberJocks

3 Strings CBG (cigar box guitar) #2: More neck work

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by FreddyS posted 674 days ago 2795 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: The beginning Part 2 of 3 Strings CBG (cigar box guitar) series Part 3: Tail and bridge »

Hi again, this time I’ll show you the extra work I did with the neck:

You can see in the pic the small cigar box I got for the cbg, a Romeo y Julieta brand, cedar plywood, it is almost too small for the scale I choose (25”) but I will use it anyway, time will tell if I need to replace it.

Here I did another “first timer”, a pattern jig to cut a nice shape into the headstock, used double sided tape to attach the pattern to the headstock and routed away… and also did my first mistake:

Being left handed, I’m used to see other players like a mirrored and reversed image, but I made the blueprint only mirrored and routed the pattern into the headstock that way, in my mind the design looked the right way but that didn’t transfer ok to the paper duh!

Luckily I had cut the maple board 1” longer than needed so I fixed this one easily hehee, just had to flip the pattern and route the headstock again, the pic shows the wrong routing.
Fixing the headstock routing:

Done!:

Also, you can see the extra wood piece for support inside the box already routed to a nice shape, that side will work as a neck heel. Actually this a leftover from the neck cut, but not thick enough to be just one piece so another “first timer”, I cut two pieces, planned the sides and laminated them to get the proper size, all went fine!

Removing some wood so the cigar box lid can rest at neck level:

I did the 2 outer cuts in the table saw, then removed the rest of the wood in the router table.

Another “first timer”, a couple of finish nails to prevent the wood from moving while being glued, it works as advertised!:

Now gluing the support wood, and another mistake!, I forgot white glue dries fast in hot weather, result: visible glue line, not great but I bet it won’t come apart any time soon:

After cleaning up the glue and doing the holes for the neck in the box I’m testing the fit, everything looks ok:

Fit close up, I’ll have to remove some more wood to make space for the lid so it rests against the neck only in the sides of the box:

And that’s it for now, things left to do:

holes for the strings, fingerboard inlay/gluing, bridge, nut.

Seeya later!

-- Learning one thing at a time



2 comments so far

View Mauricio's profile

Mauricio

6798 posts in 1776 days


#1 posted 672 days ago

Its all about overcomming the mistakes! Great post, you’ll have to post a video so we can see how it sounds when its done.

-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch

View FreddyS's profile

FreddyS

194 posts in 1399 days


#2 posted 667 days ago

Hi Mauricio, I’ll try to do a video but wont promise anything hehee

-- Learning one thing at a time

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase