LumberJocks

A new life for a 1/4HP motor... is going to be a diy lathe! #5: Small update, locking strips done

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by FreddyS posted 07-25-2011 08:21 PM 3133 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: The lathe bed is done! Part 5 of A new life for a 1/4HP motor... is going to be a diy lathe! series Part 6: Lathe bases done! »

Hi everyone, this weekend I decided to build the locking strips, the design calls for hardwood so tzalam wood it is, they ended looking great but it took me a little bit more than planned as I needed to adapt to the wood thickness I had at hand(1”) hehee:


1.- Some strips cut and grooved to accept the aluminum straps.

Only the front strips needed the groove but I went thru all the wood, small mistake but it wont affect the result as I’m flipping the back strips so the groove ends on the external side.

2.- drilling a 3/8” hole, counterboring for the T-nuts, all the strips are cut to proper length already.

3.- The studded knobs I got are 5/16” x 7/8” so I had to counterbore 1/8” on the opposite side so the screw does his work fine.

4.-Testing how all fits, looks good.

5.- 20ยบ cuts done, T-nuts installed, aluminum straps installed.

6.- testing how it fits into the lathe bed.

Hopefully I’ll be finishing 3 bases, the headstock and tailstock the next weekend.

Cheers!

-- Learning one thing at a time



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase