Hi everyone, rain was almost gone this weekend so I could finish the lathe bed, it nearly catches me distracted and a few drops got into the top of the bed, luckily I noticed and saved all before any damage was made hehe, here are the photos:
1 & 2.- marking the plywood, that’s where the grooves for the vertical supports will be made.
3.- setting the router bit height for the grooves, I did the 3/8” groove in two passes, and the router bit is a special one with the same thickness as the plywood, slightly less than 3/4” thick.
4.- one groove is done, second one is ready to be made.
5.- Both grooves done in the bed base.
6.- Testing fit, everything fine!
7.- Grooves made in the top, testing fit again, all nice!
8.- 20º beveled cuts done in the top, also starting the aluminum straps work.
9.- Ready to drill and countersink 28 holes in the aluminum straps.
10.- Aluminum straps attached to the bed, lathe base corners rounded with a 3/4” roundover bit.
Last photo shows how it looks before gluing it all together, I also did the small aluminum locking straps for the
headstock, tailstock and tool rest.
Next weekend I’ll build the headstock and tailstock I hope :)
-- Learning one thing at a time