LumberJocks

Flood recovery project

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by FreddieMac updated 09-20-2017 02:36 PM 4 parts 2002 reads 7 comments total

Part 1: A call from a friend

09-08-2017 03:20 PM by FreddieMac | 4 comments »

During the flood, my neighbor and I became really good friends. We were at each other’s house doing various things to help each out. He is an off-shore worker, so he is one month on and one month off. During that first month he had to go to work and leave his wife alone to handle everything. I went over an helped her install a garbage disposal and dishwasher. Just small projects to help her get a working home. One day while we were mucking out our houses, my friend’s wife calle...

Read this entry »


Part 2: A good start, I think

09-11-2017 02:50 PM by FreddieMac | 1 comment »

Well, I am not sure I am doing it correct, but I am doing it. I did some research on restorations and repairs online and just decided to get started, becuase it seemed to be a problems solving job; not one that I could plan out. After really inspecting the piece I figured I had a few problems. The first was the dried flood mud and generally dirty, dry wood. The second was one side of the piece was cracked. The third was warped boards. My goal is to clean the insides as much as possible, to...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Cleaning and restoring wood

09-18-2017 01:53 PM by FreddieMac | 2 comments »

I managed to devote a lot of time to this project this weekend. I finished up the shower project in my home as well as my RV. My house is officially recovered from the flood. That left me with lots of time this weekend to concentrate in my workshop. Over the weekend I did a lot of small things. Mainly I dissected the drawers in the cabinet. As I pulled out the drawers, I found they were the only thing holding in many of the rails on the right side. The back board warped but the moving and...

Read this entry »


Part 4: The back and the bottom

09-20-2017 02:36 PM by FreddieMac | 0 comments »

Well, last night was productive. I managed to get the cabinet on its feet for the first time in a year. To do so, I had to fix the back rail and bottom. The tongue on it was cracked. On Saturday I inspected the crack and decide it could be repaired. Using some toothpicks I pushed some wood glue into the crack and clamped it down. I was worried it would not hold, but when I took the clamps off last night, it was very sold. Modern wood glues make things easier some days. The other concern w...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com