I am finally ready to put together the leg assemblies. Test fitting went well, some minor trimming of the tenons with a rabbetting block plane did the trick.
Everything is going to be drawbored. I have tried this in the past, but on a much smaller scale. One of the things that I previously had difficulty with was getting the peg past the second offset, even though I had whittled the end of the peg to a much smaller diameter. I thought long and hard about it, and decided to sharpen the peg the easy way.
Glue is your friend here. Unlike lamination glue-ups, where you don’t want everything to slide around, the glue lubricates the pegs and makes them easy to drive. I have a 1/16 inch offset in the rails, and everything pulled together nicely.
Time to put the whole thing together. I used ratchet straps to pull the assembly tight. Once the pegs are in, the straps are no longer needed and can be removed.
Previously I had listed my 3 major gripes with this project, the second of which was preventing water damage to the legs. I decided to inset hockey pucks into the ends of the legs. There are two ways I considered about making that size of a hole: giant forstner bit or router with a circle template. I chose the forstner bit.
For the record, I am never going to drill end grain with a bit that size ever again. I have upcoming projects that will also need hockey pucks installed the same way, and I am going to take the time to build a jig to properly support a router and template.
Anyways, I did not want the pucks permanently mounted (there is a reason for that, it will be shown later in the blog). I used rare earth magnets for this task.
It looks like the hockey puck idea is going to work.
Thanks for reading, more to follow.
-- I can complicate anything