The first two parts were pretty boring – Some background info was part I, and part II was all about building some over-complicated sawhorses with 6 legs. Hopefully this is a little more interesting.
The original plan did not tie the two sawhorses together very well, it used a system of bolted together angle iron to create a suspended drawer support. This did not appeal to me. I liked the idea of the drawers, but not the way shown. I set to messing around with SketchUp again to figure out a solution. Here is what I came up with.
These would be fastened to the beams of the sawhorses, creating the core of the table. Internal to these web frames is two pairs of rails to be used for drawer runners. I started by milling down some dimensional lumber to 1 3/8”, then routed a groove in the pieces that span between the sawhorses, then spaced them with blocks milled to 1 inch thick. the spacer blocks also had dadoes cut into them to support the rails.
Then I attached each of the 8 web frames to the two sawhorses and hoped for the best.
I used some TimberTech screws to attach the frames to the sawhorses. I am still not a fan of using screws to support loads in a shear application, but this was the best solution. Plus, when I attach the top, several screws will attach the frames to the top, minimizing the stress each screw has to endure.
It came out pretty good. The web frames were 3 inches in width, so with 8 of those in total plus 12 inches spacing between each of them, it was supposed to end up at 9 feet in length. The beams were planed minimally, no specific thickness (each was planed identically) but the span was intended to be 4 foot in width.
So here is where I am at this point.
The next part will detail the drawer runners.
-- I can complicate anything