Asssembly / Outfeed Table #2: Building the frames

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Freakazoid posted 08-16-2015 09:31 PM 1030 reads 1 time favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Starting from the ground up Part 2 of Asssembly / Outfeed Table series Part 3: Joining the Frames »

I did not want to use the 5 foot by 5 foot dimension of the table that I referenced in the last entry. I knew that I wanted something around 5 foot by 10 foot, but recognized that I did not want to build two tables, they would never come out exactly the same. I did some SketchUp work to try out various ideas. I came up with the idea to merge two tables into one:

I do not own a bandsaw. so I had to figure out a way to cut the 4×4 legs at an angle to merge with the 2×12 beams. I ran the legs over the table saw with a miter gauge, varied the blade height at an angle, and kerfed the legs to allow me to knock the majority of the material that had to go. To get the rest to a good usable surface, I came up with this contraption (please excuse poor picture quality, they will get better)

This allowed me to clamp the leg into the fixture and use my router to shave off the remaining material I needed to remove to create the surface to mate with the beams. It took me a while to get twelve legs all done (two passes, one with a spacer), but I got there.

The pairs of legs are joined with bolts at the top and with all-thread at the bottom, with a piece of pipe used as a spacer. I modified my jig contraption to allow me to drill through the legs and reference the mating surface I had cut earlier.

The second workbench makes a cameo appearance in the background of the next picture

I now had to locate and create 3 shallow mortises on each side of each beam to house the legs. A jig, a router, and a chisel got me to where I needed to be.

Now to fit the legs to the beams and start fitting everything together.

The legs also support rails for the drawers. I do not believe in allowing fasteners to support heavy loads (especially shear loads), so I decided to cut dadoes into the legs for the rails that I would build later. The results were pretty good.

After everything was ready, I put it all together

In the next episode, I will join the two frames together.

-- I can complicate anything

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics