LumberJocks

Again with the Dutch tool chest... #4: Paint it black

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Fraxinus posted 09-24-2016 07:13 AM 596 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Hinges, filling, runners Part 4 of Again with the Dutch tool chest... series Part 5: Done! (almost) »

I decided to do a rabbet all around the edge of the lid, matching the rabbet on the fall front (3/4” wide). Used my Stanley 78. It went pretty well, though did get a bit of tear out on one of the breadboards. Dealing with the crossgrain orientation of the panel and the breadboards is a bit challenging when it comes to planing and sanding. Need to figure that one out.

After that it was time to paint. Yay! Been looking forward to that for a while. I decided on milk paint when I first started the project, but I went back and forth on what color. At first I thought I’d use Lexington green, then black, then green, then maybe soldier blue.

This morning I said screw it and decided on black. Didn’t want to be too much of a copycat of Schwarz, but c’est la vie. I like the look, plus I think it’ll help hide some of the many flaws.

I’ve only used milk paint on a couple test pieces, so don’t have much experience with it. I think I mixed it a bit thick, but it went on fine.

After the first coat:

I put two coats on it this evening, using a green pad to “sand” between the coats. I really like how it looked after hitting it with the green pad, evened everything out. I had planned on putting a couple coats of boiled linseed oil on it, but I’m liking the flat black look.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com