Today was a good shop day. I managed to get several hours in all at one go.
Things started of with filtering through some restoration/reconditioning project possibilities which will make there way to LJ in the near future, then I moved on to the tear down of the tensioning system currently not working on the frame saw, followed by some think time to design the new blade holder in steel.
After I had something in mind and some dimensions written down on a very rough drawing, I cut out a wood model of what I planned on doing. In the pic below, the wood model is on top and the finished blade holder is assembled with the tensioning bolt (1/4” all-thread) and the blade held in to the block with a brass rivet.
The blade holder is one piece, though it looks like it might be two in the above pic. Below is a pic of the blade holder without the blade installed.
The idea was to make something stout that could hold up to some vigorous rip-sawing. If the blade holder works well, I will be using the design to make a larger frame saw to rip green wood to board lumber.
Here is the blade holder/tensioner installed in the frame.
As this was the prototype it took several hours to go from idea to paper to a mock-up to a working assembly. Tomorrow I hope to have the second one cut and mounted and get some rip-sawing done as well.