Okay, I started off going down to the shop around 08:30, did a bit of cleaning, organizing, and stowing away and somehow managed to recover 18 cubic feet of space! In a shop as small as mine, that is a huge deal.
After clean up, I started working on the frame saw. The first discovery was that I actually had some 1 3/8 by 3/4 Douglas Fir stock in the back of my shop I had completely forgotten. This find eliminated my plan of building a plywood frame saw as I originally planned.
I opted to make a couple of dimension changes and go with open mortise and tenon joints. The new frame is 24 X 12. While the frame is absolutely not my best work, but it will work fine for the task at hand which is to get started on dimensioning some recovered/recycled lumber.
The best part was, I could use all hand tools to build the frame. I even drilled the 1/4” holes in the arms with an “egg beater” drill. Which brings me to one of my lessons of the day. I really need a better hand drill, specifically a brace and bit.
I did cheat a little. When it came time to drill the all-thread for the tensioning system and the saw blade, I just didn’t have it in me to use the “egg beater.” Which brings me to my second lesson for the day. When I looked at the 1/4” all-thread I thought it looked a bit sketchy. I should have trusted my instincts.
Here’s the good rivet
Here’s the bad rivet
I thought about getting some 1/2” x 1/2” square brass stock and 1/4” round stock and manually cutting, filing, sawing, and threading three pieces by hand. A blade holder, the rod, and a wing nut. Then make a wood nut handle for the wing nut.
Sounds like a lot of work, but that tensioner will last a lot longer than the riveted ones I made this afternoon. Take a look at the pics. One rivet made it okay, the other tore out as soon as the blade was under tension.
The frame will do, I just need to make a new tensioning system. That will be next weekends project.