Well the entertainment center wasn’t enough, so we decided to take the wall that was next to the entertainment center needed a mantel and some pizazz. It was just molded concrete around the fireplace and we never had a place to put stockings during Christmas season and such so we decided to make a mantel to put them on. Initially we were going to tear the concrete surround down but decided it was going to be too much work and we have a baby coming in a few weeks, I didn’t want to be in the middle of the project.
Used Poplar and paint grade plywood for the panels. On the Entertainment center I bought 1/4” stock from the BORG and routed the beads from that, but I decided it was too much money to try to buy that much 1/4” stock so rather I bought 1×3 poplar and resawed it on my table saw and beaded the stock and ripped it in half yielding 4 beads per board. A lot of work resawing and ripping and beading but it worked out great!
Definitely the biggest project I’ve taken on so far, and I had NO JIGS to start with, and it took along time because I had to basically start with no shop to building each jig, router table, zero clearance insert, and cross cut sled from scratch, total blast.
Going to crown mold the top and across the entire room, and then the finish paint.