things were said, mistakes were made, but all in all I’m happy with the progress so far. The box is certainly not perfect, but it’s got a little bit of unexpected character now with all the mistakes i’ve had to fix, hahah ;) you’re allowed to be lucky sometimes.
ok, so here’s a post highlighting the major mistakes that were made along the way. The box has gotten to the point where I’m starting the marquetry for the top lid (see the last picture of the first blog). I’ll try my best to take as many pictures of the process as possible. This will be my first attempt at marquetry, and I’m not a “try before you buy” kind of guy.. I’m all in and going for it from the first shot. no doubt there will be a few good challenges along the way!
anyway, below are some more pictures of the process. and I’ll explain what’s going on and where the mistakes are.
Originally, the top lid was going to be solid mahogany, but after I cut it 1cm too short on one side, i decided to take it down on all sides and place an oak boarder 2cm wide. The picture above shows my attempt at cutting a miter joint into the oak by hand… on this particular day i shouldnt have been in the workshop at all and they turned out like crap. i decided to glue them to my mahogany lid anyway… and… well… regretted it. hahah!
after the glue was dry on the oak boarder, I couldnt live with the horrible look of things. The miter joints were off by some 5mm in places and it was definitely not eye-pleasing.. I was close to scrapping it and starting over, but opted to take the oak boarder in by 15mm on all sides and put a mahogany border on the outside around that. The picture above shows two sides of the outer mahogany border glueing. this is not the best way to do it I know, but I’m limited by the tools at my disposal.
After all 4 sides glued I took a picture of the worst miter joint of the oak boarder I had made. you can imagine how horrible it looked with another 15mm on there…
above is a close up of one of the other miter joints that wasnt as bad. Overall it was salvagable. certainly not ideal, but it’s no longer THAT noticable. and the mahogany miter joints I cut were MUCH better, lol.
here’s an overview of the top lid. all modifications complete and finished curving the edges, it’s ready for the marquetry :)
on to the box itself. the picture above shows the bottom piece, which also has an oak border. I’m filing down the sides to a straight angle, just to give some dimension to the box.
the picture above shows the “foot” of the box. after i chiselled out most of the material, i began filing it down and used a round file to round off and smooth the edges around the “feet”.
a closer view of the process of filing down the edges of the feet.
a look at the bottom after it’s finished and stained and drying :)
unfortunately, i didnt get any pictures of the process of shaping the large curve on the sides of the box. but there’s not much to it… some chisels, some sandpaper and A LOT of elbow grease. As I mentioned in the first entry, I wanted to inlay the strip in the box before I shaped it. the curves on the sides dip 5mm at their lowest point, so I had to cut the inlays quite wide before I set them in.
just another shot of the bottom :)
what my hands look like after a day in the workshop
I’ll try to chronicle my marquetry adventure as best as possible, but it’s difficult to remember to take pictures sometimes, lol. at least i can have the camera on the table while I try my hands at this. not so much sawdust ;)
-- Flemming. It's only a mistake if you can't fix it.