Handmade Jewellery Box #1: part 2 of 1

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Flemming posted 07-05-2010 02:54 AM 1502 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Handmade Jewellery Box series Part 2: nothing but trouble »

Right. Well, I thought I made a series last time, but apparently I didn’t. so here’s part II, cunningly disguised as part I so to speak ;)

This project is has been a daunting task to say the least. pure luck has brought me the wood I need (and then some) and I’m horrible at designing things and sticking to the plan. mostly because I lack the discipline to “measure twice, cut once”.. so as I said in the first post, the design was laid out, but changes are inevitable with my work. I think it’s more to do with the fact that I like creating problems and then solving them :P

plus there’s something utterly satisfying about working the wood with your own hands, and while it’s no doubt ridiculously time-consuming, i get into a zen sort of state while I’m sanding and I don’t see the tediousness of it. but looking back i do :P

the tools i have at my disposal bring me back to before the middle ages. so far I’ve spent 26 hours on this piece and if my estimations are correct, i have another 26 to go. seems outrageous right? well try it all by hand. I took a few shots of the process on my phone while i was working, nothing that resembles a box yet, but tonight the pieces are glueing so next post will bring a little more clarity to the look of things :)


this is a picture of one of the sides for the top of the box. yes, that is a file.. I’ve gotten to the point where i dont need a level to see if It’s straight or not. That’s what a year in metal workshop will do to you…


not so good with a planer yet, was quite uneven and I needed to file it down :P


this is a picture of the inlay for one side. I considered separating the pieces with a darker wood, but opted to glue them together as they were. I like the subtleness… or maybe i got lazy :P I tried a mitre box for cutting the triangular inlay pattern, but I found i could do it much better with a steady hand. you can see the front of the box in the picture above, and there’s a clear glue line which I wanted to conceal. (it actually wasnt so noticeable after I sanded it down, but I had already finished cutting the inlay before I got to that point, lol).



cutting the inlay into strips. i wanted to inlay the pieces before i shaped the sides of the box. that’s why they’re so wide.


This is a picture of the marquetry I want to do for the top lid. The petals will be of birch, while the stems will be scorched birch. the leaves will be of teak, slightly scorched to accent them… but again plans change :P

once i get around to scanning the original drawings, i will be able to show how things have changed (out of necessity… or lack of planning :P)

-- Flemming. It's only a mistake if you can't fix it.

3 comments so far

View JVallario's profile


76 posts in 3151 days

#1 posted 07-08-2010 02:28 PM

I’m watching with interest – keep going!

-- John

View mafe's profile


11725 posts in 3090 days

#2 posted 07-19-2010 12:16 AM

Yes we are all eyes, love your strong force.

-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.

View Flemming's profile


417 posts in 2897 days

#3 posted 07-19-2010 12:58 AM

Cheers guys. hope i dont let you down, hahah.

-- Flemming. It's only a mistake if you can't fix it.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics