Some time off during the holidays afforded me the opportunity to hit the shop. Over the last couple of days I managed to cut all the dado’s, mortises and tenons. Today I loose fit the front frame and the two end frames.
Since I cut the mortises with my drill press, I had to clean the sides up with a chisel. Well the only chisels I have around were very dull Sears Craftsman that have been used to do everything from cut mortises for door lock sets and scrape paint (wifey!). Needless to say there are all pretty dull. This gave me the opportunity to sharpen the 1” chisel using the “Scary Sharp Process”. That all sounds good, but I didnt have a honing guide and with my eyes, getting and holding a 25 degree angle was going to be difficult. Alas, I found a piece of scrap wood, squared up the edges, cut a 25 degree slope on the front face, then cut dado slots top and bottom. The bottom slot was cut to allow the guide to span the wet/dry abrasive strips. After about 20 minutes of 400, 800 and 1000 grit rubbing, I had a chisel that was sharper than ever and sliced down the ridges in my mortices like they were butter.
Here are a couple of pics of my progress.
This is the blanket chest’s front frame (upper and lower rails and two muntins) loosely assembled.
These are the tenons I cut. I was amased. I ‘eyeballed’ the blade height, cut both sides and the darn thing slid with a little pressure right into the dado/mortise. I guess it’s better to be lucky than good sometimes.
The next two pics are of the ‘poor man’s honing guide’ I made to sharpen my chisel.
I did manage to clean up my tenons, round their edges, cut my haunces and dry fit the blanket chest end frames too. Tomorrow I plan to complete the fit up of the front and back frames and dry fit the entire box (without the panels and lid).
Have great day.
-- I love the smell of sawdust in the morning....