Progress is good. Friday the contractors poured the footing using the “earth form” method & started building the forms for the wall & floor. Saturday they finished the forms & put in the limestone chat, leveled it & compacted the surface.
Today (Monday) they poured the wall & the floor in one pour. The concrete came out nice & square & the floor is very level with one parting line through the half-way point. The men did excelent work.
After adjusting the measurements they ended up pouring the floor a bit higher than I figured & a third row of the bricks, that filled the window space, was covered.
Tomorrow they plan on tearing the forms down & this week, while the concrete cures some, they will be building the wall sections in their shop & plan on being back on site next Monday.
Meanwhile & time permitting, I will be working on removing some sod, with a gas sod cutter, from another location in our yard & use it to level the yard around the new concrete.
A little footnote to the progress: When building the forms & attaching them to the house the contractors pulled of a piece of trim that will be in the way of the stud wall & found some “old” termite damage behind the brick facade that is by the gas meter. I say old damage because several years back we found termites & had our house treated. The damage that we found had no “active” termites & we will be checking for any more damage or termites when I remove the bottom row of old siding shingles & check the rim joist.
More to Come!
-- Frank, Florissant, Missouri "The New Show-Me Woodshop"