LumberJocks

Greene and Greene inspired raised dog tray #5: Top and breadboard ends

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Eric_S posted 02-19-2012 11:05 PM 4339 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: Mortises and dry fit of base Part 5 of Greene and Greene inspired raised dog tray series Part 6: Pinned Tenons, Routing the holes for the bowls, and routing/gluing end caps for the tongues »

I was hoping to finish everything today except the plugs. However, I only had enough time to do the top and initial breadboard ends. It took longer than expected being my first time doing it, the grooves on the top for the end caps and making the elongated holes on the sides of the BB ends will have to wait until next weekend.

To start, I grabbed the widest board I had to avoid having to edge joint the top. Here it is at 11” wide and in dire need of flattening. The sapwood near the edge will be cut off.


Look at all the beautiful shavings..


I was hoping to have the top an inch thick, but due to some bad warping I had to bring it down from a little over 4/4 to 13/16. I was debating bringing it down to 3/4” to make math easier for tenon and groove spacing, but I wanted it as thick as possible. After thicknessing and planing one side smooth, I cut it to 19×9. the top is 17” with an inch tenon on each side.

Just like the aprons, I ran it through the table saw using a crosscut sled to make the tenons with the blade set 1/4” above the sled.

I still have to make them haunched, but that will have to wait until next week.

I then ripped the breadboard ends to 2 1/2” wide and crosscut them to 9 1/2”.





I was going to use the router table to make the groove, but due to time constraints today I ran it through the table saw a few times since that was already set up. If I did it with the router table, I’d have to do a few adjustments to get the width since the tenon was between 1/4” and 3/8”, but not quite 3/8”. So this was quicker. After looking back, I should have thicknessed the top to make it 3/4”. It would have made this so much easier in the end.

Here is the underside with the breadboard ends on. Or maybe its the top side, I haven’t decided. I sort of like the not, but I think either way its going to be partially cut out when I make the holes for the dog bowls.


Next weekend, I’ll hopefully finish it up. Still remaining…grooves in the aprons to accept buttons for the top, the buttons themselves, end caps and haunching the tenons for the G&G style breadboard ends, and then glue up/pinning the tenons on the legs. The BB ends will have elongated screw holes covered with plugs as will the pins.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN



3 comments so far

View patron's profile

patron

13182 posts in 2094 days


#1 posted 02-20-2012 12:04 AM

coming along nicely eric

your series here is a nice journey too

ninga must be getting exited

he’ll be eating like a dog soon
a happy one

-- david - only thru kindness can this world be whole . If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure. Dan Quayle

View Eric_S's profile

Eric_S

1521 posts in 1948 days


#2 posted 02-20-2012 12:28 AM

Thank you, David. Ninja I’m sure will enjoy eating comfortably without leaning down. Hopefully though he appreciates the work too lol.

-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN

View AaronK's profile

AaronK

1399 posts in 2217 days


#3 posted 02-20-2012 01:09 AM

nice chunk of progress :-)

considering that its a dog’s dish, i’d put the knot on the bottom side if I were doing it. it’ll be easier to clean :-)

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase