Today was a productive day :)
I started by finishing up the legs.
There wasn’t too much cleanup needed, just a few passes with my trusy #7…
And then cut them to final length of 14” using a stop block on my crosscut sled.
I also found this on one of the legs. Is this gumming that is common with Cherry or is this spalting? Either way, its pretty.
Now that the legs are done(minus the mortises), I moved on to the aprons.
I started by flattening and cutting to boards to length of 14” for the front and back and 7” for the sides…
I then planed them to 3/4” thick and ripped them to 3.5” width…
Now comes the tenons. Last time I did tenons for the nightstands, I used my bandsaw. This time I decided to try and do them on my crosscut sled with a stop block. I found this to be just as easy, and probably a little more accurate. First, I raised the blade to 1/4” and placed a stop block at 1” from the end.
After the first pass, I just slowly made successive passes to form the tenons. I wish I had a table saw capable of handling dado blades. Oh well.
I then rotated them to the face and cut the bottom of the tenons.
Using the same technique, I cut 1” deep into the tenons for the haunches but 1/4” of the tenon length remained for this area.
Now for the tricky part, the cloud lifts on the aprons. To start, I marked the center of the front and side aprons and then marked halfway from that to each side for the front. The side was similar but a little bit past half way on each side due to how small it was. I also marked a line across for each cloud lift level. Each one was 3/4” apart.
Since each cloud lift level was 3/4” apart, I set my compass to a 3/8” radius.
To make the curves, I placed the point of the compass at the center of each halfway mark, and made a tick to the left and right across the horizontal lines.
Then, from each of those ticks, I made a quarter of a circle to make the S curves…
Now I have the layout to cut :)
To cut them, I paired of the front and back as well as the sides, taped the tops and tenons together, and ran them through my bandsaw.
Since I had a 1/2” blade, I wasn’t able to make the curve cuts accurately. I did a few slices and then chopped those out, but still needed some filing to get the final shape.
I then used a dowel wrapped with sandpaper to smooth the curves out and get rid of the filing marks.
And that’s it for today. I still need to cut grooves on the inside of the aprons for the buttons that will be holding the top and allow for expansion. Also, I need to cut mortises in the legs, make the top and breadboard ends as well as the plugs which will wait until next weekend.
I’m also not sure about the height of the aprons at 3.5”. The front and back look okay, but on the sides it looks squished. Also for a 14” leg height, 3.5” may seem to bulky. I may rip off the tops of the aprons a bit to 3” but I haven’t decided yet. I may try to cut a piece from scraps to see how it would look at 3” before I cut them if I go that route.
Thanks for looking.
-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN