I managed to finish the closet today :)
Here are some pics of the edge banding process, painting(yawn), and installation. One thing I should have noted when dealing with the installation. I measured the doorways, and height of the rooms and width of the hallways to make sure I could get this massive shelving beast inside. I did that just fine. What I forgot to measure was the diagonal of the shelving from top front to bottom back to allow to rotate it vertically to pivot in our narrow hallway to get it into the bedroom.
So I had to cut it in half using a circular saw and straight edge right there in my living room. My wife wasn’t too happy about that but after getting it into the house neither of us wanted to have to bring it back out to the garage and then back in. So cut it I did, right there. Glad I brought in my shop fan with filtration and shop vac which significantly helped keep dust levels down inside. The pic with my wife in it you’ll notice a seam going across the middle of the unit, that was the cut which was patched up after during final touch up with hidden support bracket, spackle, and more paint.
I’ve never used edge banding before. I’m still not a huge fan of it but since I was using plywood and didn’t want to spend much on hardwood edges since it was going to be painted, this was a good, quick, and cheap alternative that Lew had suggested. I could have just painted the plywood but the edge would have shown through so I’m happy I listened to you Lew, thanks. It was very easy to apply and looked great painted, much better than plywood would have looked and cheaper and quicker than hardwoods. I took out my block plane iron and slid it along the wood to easily trim it.
Here is one pic of the priming and painting. This thing was a pain in the butt to paint. I was so happy when I was done with this. It sucked! Although it was probably quicker than applying an actual finish to it. The main shelving unit contained 82 faces that needed to be painted and since they had deep shelves I had to constantly walk around and use a ladder to paint it. I tried it with the shelving laying down but it was wearing out my hands and wrists quicker.
And finally, here is the start of the installation. Here is where all hell broke loose and I had to cut it in half in the living room to get it down the hallway and inside the bedroom and closet. Notice the seem in the center…this goes away in the following pics. Thats my wife, Ren, happy that we finally got the first piece in.
And the other 2 pieces and poles installed.
Here is the right wall…
and the left
and with crown and trim installed. I still need to caulk the trim and crown though as there are gaps along the drywall.
and with clothing :) This closet design was my own and introduced a huge amount of storage square footage to the closet. Before we had one pole along one wall, another along the adjacent wall, and a tiny vertical shelf. Because of the pole design as well, you couldn’t use the last foot where they overlapped either. The total cost of this shelving with paint and trim was $300. EDIT: It was actually around $260 since I still have a full sheet of plywood left over :) Well worth it.
I still have to built the pull out tie and belt racks and valet pole for my wife. The tie and belt racks will be built using recessed full extension drawer slides along the walls. I’ll update when those are finished sometime soon…I need a break from this piece though. I dont think I ever want to build something with so many shelves and dadoes again lol.
-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN