First, lets start with a Happy New Years from my dog, Ninja….
Sorry I couldn’t resist….
Now on to the closet…
I managed to finish the dadoes in the side walls of the shelving that I started yesterday…
Then I got to work on figuring out a good way to make all the dadoes in the actual shelves for the vertical dividers/supports. The thing about these if you saw my first post on the corner shelving plan, is on one shelf they go towards one wall , but on the next shelf they are rotated 90 degrees and go towards the other wall. There had to be an easy way to accurately cut these dadoes without taking all day.
I came up with the idea of taking my router edge guide I used to make the dadoes on the shelving side walls…
,and took one rail off and cut the jig so that the shelves themselves could be ganged up top and bottom of each row of shelving, and all you had to do was press them together, slide them under the jig and up against the routing guide. I nailed this new jig to a piece of plywood…
If you’re wondering why the left piece has a chunk missing in the lower right side of it, its the bottom shelf that has a rabbet and I started routing the rabbet on the wrong side before I realized it and flipped it over, causing that entire area to be cut away. But it doesn’t matter as it will be against the carpet and no one will see. Also, there wont be any back wall support in that area so it shouldn’t have gotten a rabbet to begin with. ;)
Now I numbered the shelves from 1-7(bottom to top) and ganged them up so that one was right side up and the next shelf was flipped over,
routed a groove,
got rid of the first shelf, and rotated the next 180 degrees and added another shelf.
This was repeated until I got to the top shelf. So top side of shelf 1 was ganged to bottom side of shelf 2 and routed 1/4”x3/4” deep dado. Then shelf 1 went away, I pulled shelf 2 out from the jig, flipped it and rotated it 180 degrees,
and added shelf 3, routed, then shelf 2 went away and shelf 3 flipped and rotated 180 degrees and shelf 4 was added…etc. until all were done. I was surprised how fast I did this. I think I managed to route all these vertical support dadoes in about 30 minutes. You may notice a few mess ups but overall they turned out excellent.
Now came the actual shelving assembly, this was going to be a real pain in the butt. I also knew that some of these may not be cut perfectly since I did it with a jigsaw, but hopefully the minor differences wouldn’t be too noticeable once finished. For the most part this was true, but I’m my own worst critic so I see all the issues and a few shelves aren’t 90 degrees to the wall, oh well, its not that noticeable.
But first, I was very happy and surprised to see this from Home Depot, I thought all their plywood was imported….
Anyways, here is the glueup assembly. I used a brad nailer to help support the shelving in addition to glue.
Originally I thought I might be able to avoid a back wall support, but after lifting one side, I’m thinking I may need to add at least a small vertical support on one side. To support the back edges of the shelving as they are heavy and large. I was hoping the vertical supports would be enough, but I’m not so sure so I’ll be cutting sometime soon(probably next weekend) a 93”x6” wide back wall support piece for this shelving.
Then come the side wall clothing rails and face frame for all of it. The walls are done already, I just need to cut the horizontal pieces for those in the sketchup drawing. All in all though its coming along rather smoothly I must say.
Thanks for looking and I hope you all had a Happy New years.
-- - Eric Indianapolis, IN