This blank came from the walnut tree we picked up over the summer – a storm fall from I think Irene that was a standing dead tree, then laying dead for a couple years. I sliced out this triple trunk section figuring it would make a nice bowl. It’s been sitting for a while, now has some spalt in it – we’ll see how deep.
I decided to spin today – IDK 40lbs maybe? I had tried it on the delta and it was too heavy and shook the machine. This PowerMatic 3520B – doesn’t move at ALL! I cleaned up the outside so far then decided to go a little different. I set a 3” faceplate into the crotch, which will now be the base of the bowl.
I then flipped it, and setup to core it. Having some trouble getting the coring rig working right, but it’s getting there. I then decided before popping through to bore out the center of the core. I plan to glue up a cap and base on this in a contrasting wood, likely maple or cherry, and then a three layer bowl out of the core.
Meanwhile – once that’s popped out I’ll continue to hollow with the intent to get a nice deep three legged bowl. We’ll see how this works out, hoping its unique! Worse case it’s gonna be some expensive firewood. At least it didn’t explode, and I only broke it off the 3” face plate once. I think I’m going to reset it tomorrow with longer screws.
More to follow as the project continues!
-- Eric M. Saperstein, Master Craftsman www.artisansofthevalley.com