I have finished the boat!! It was launched this week. The boat did well on it’s sea trails, floated well and did not take on any water. I have 814 Hours in the build and the boat weighs 1749 lbs.
But to not get to far ahead of the story, Since my last entry, I have trimmed the boat in White Oak stained to red mahogany, and finished with three coats of Sikkens Cetol Marine varnish. I made shaker style doors for the battery locker, the entrance to the cabin and a storage area under one of the seats. I made two foot rest for the front seats, made and painted seat box covers for the front seats. Installed 6 boat seats, and made a small seat beside the splash well out of some wasted space. Installed two oval shaped port hole windows.
After finishing the boat I then had to get it on the trailer, After consulting with Bob Current about the rigging for the move of the boat I built a cradle to support the front of the boat. Then with the help of several of my neighbors we move the boat outside with ease.
We only moved the boat out until the pilot house cleared the shop roof overhang. Then I started jacking the boat. I used 4×4 lumber for cribbing and raised the boat 25”.
After the boat was up to 25” I moved the trailer into position, hooked the trailer winch to the boat. Installed two jacks to support the back of the trailer and winched the boat onto the trailer.
I then took the boat to the dealer and had the Yamaha 70 hp motor installed. The dealer and I took the boat to the water and tested the engine. It reached 29 MPH at 6200 RPMs and fuel usage was 5.5 MPG. at 4000 RPM we moved 12 MPH with 7.2 MPG.
This has been the hardest wood working project I have ever done and the most rewarding. I learned a lot about boats and boating that I never even imagined before. The finished product is a great boat that I will enjoy for many years.
Thanks all for your support and encouragement during this journey and
Thanks for Looking!!
-- John, Suffolk Virgina