I have 718 hours in this build and the boat weighs 1703 lbs.
Over the past Month I have finished painting the boat, Installed the rigging, Completed the wiring, installed the cleats, U-Bolts, Windows, seat boxes. The boat is very near completion, The first picture in this segment is where I am now.
The first task I had this month was to make a rub rail. The rub rail is fitted near the top of the Hull and is the point that “rubs” the dock or other boats and absorbs the blunt of any blows. It is designed to be replaced when worn.
For the rub rail I purchased Quartersawn White Oak. The boards were 10 feet long, My jointer is only a 4’ bed machine. So to straight line these long boards I used a long straight edge and sawed it with my skill saw to get 2 long board half’s with straight edges.
I then routed scarf joints on three lengths of white oak then I glued up the scarf joints with PL Premium Adhesive. I used long construction levels and clamps to hold the boards straight as the scarf joints are clamped.
While the rub rail is curing I started on the windshield by lining the plywood edge of the window holes with white oak, it is glued and nailed with Stainless steel nails.
I then started work on the seat boxes for the front seats, the port seat has a fuel tank installed under it. The boxes are made from 3/4” x 2 1/2” white oak. The joints are pocket hole and screws and glued with PL Premium.
The Rub rails were sized, and planed to 5/8” x 3”. They were stained out in the yard by my wife and then she helped me install them on the boat. Because the wood is straight grained (quartersawn) they bent around the boat with ease.
I counter sunk the SS deck screws that hold the rails on and made white oak plugs to fill the holes. The rails are installed in a bed of Sikaflex 291 to seal the rails to the boat but will allow them to be removed down the road if they need replacing.
After the glue on the window hole liners cured I made frames for the Tempered glass. I then made templates from plywood and had glass cut and tempered for the windshield.
The tempered glass will take about two weeks to get made so I proceeded with making the material for the outer layer of the windshield frame and the side windows frames. These are 5/16” x 2 1/5” white oak strips. I re-sawed 3/4” oak and re-planed it to 5/16” . My wife stained all of these before use.
The side windows are Plexiglass because the window is located in a curved area of the boat. The window is bent around the curve. I used channel mate double track to hold the plexiglass. Then used 3/8” x 3/4” white oak and nailed with SS nails a 5/16” x 2 1/2” strip of white oak to it to make the window trim. I did this on both the outside and the inside.
After I got both side windows installed and trimmed I took all of the trim down and my wife stained and varnished with Sikkens Cetol Marine 2 coats followed by a finish coat of Sikkens Cetol Marine gloss.
Next I started making hand rails to go on top of the Pilot house and the cabin. These are needed to hold on to when walking around the gunwales to the fore deck. I laid out for two rails drilling four holes with a 3” hole saw.
Then sawed them into two pieces.
Then at the band saw I removed the material between the holes and rounded the ends.
After routing the edges and sanding, I stained them and my wife is going to varnish them.
Here I have installed the deck sides, these are Fiberglassed and painted . These will help keep water out of the bilge and on the deck.
The fuel tank meets the new EPA guidelines for a boat made after 2012, The tank has a fill limit valve that shuts off the vent when the tank is full. This will cause the fill to back up shutting off the gas station pump. There is also a carbon filter for the vent and a check valve in the fill line.
Seat box frame is made for the drivers seat.
The remote control throttle and shifter is installed with the cables run to the motor in a 2” conduit.
I installed another 1/2” conduit from the transom to the dash to install a depth gauge after the boat is on the trailer. The transducer may get broken if installed now while we are putting the boat on the trailer.
Two 100lb SS drawer slide are installed to hold the batteries and make servicing the batteries easier.
The stained and varnished trim is re-installed on the side windows. And the hand rails are installed on the pilot house roof.
A good bedding of Sikaflex 291 is used to seal the trim to the wall panels.
The ceiling in the pilot house is re-install after 5 coats of varnish.
The windshield white oak hole lining has been sealed with quick fair and painted with marine paint.
Lights have been added to the pilot house ceiling and all of the dash wiring is complete and the motor rigging is in place.
The windshield glass is installed in the frames and the window trim is added using simple butt joints. The two side windshield windows are fixed so that they open to allow the breeze in while piloting the boat to help beat the heat. These windows will be removed, varnished and re-installed.
The next 4 pictures show where I am right now.
The work remaining is trim around the open deck, Plywood covers for the seat boxes and 7 cabinet style doors. Installing the seats and painting the deck. These should be done in a few weeks. So I hope my next blog entry will include a launching.
Thanks for Looking !!
-- John, Suffolk Virgina