I have 558 hours in this build and the boat weighs 1421 lbs.
It has been over a month since I updated the blog. I have been working on finishing the topsides of the boat to get it ready to paint. In my last blog I had all the topside built except for the splash well. So my next job was to mix up thickened epoxy and fill screw holes and seams.
While I was working on sanding thickened epoxy I removed the pilot house inside panels and my wife glassed them on saw horses.
After sanding all of the thickened epoxy smooth, I proceeded with fiber-glassing the topsides, here I am fiber-glassing the dash
Next the roof gets glassed down onto the sides.
Then windshield was glassed.
Then I glassed in the cabin hatch frame.
I continued on with adding fiberglass next was the pilot house side panels.
Glass from the cabin roof is turned up on the bottom of the windshield.
Then glass the other side of the pilot house.
Inside panels of the pilot house are reinstalled and the glass is trimmed on the dash.
Fiberglass is applied to the cabin pilot house wall.
After all of the topside are glassed then all of the glass laps has the edges feathered and sanded down to the top of the fabric before adding fill coats of epoxy.
First Fill coat of epoxy have been applied.
Next is was time to build the motor splash-well. I had left this off because I was using the notch in the transom to access the boat.
Thickened epoxy used to fill screw holes and seams and filets made for the inside corners.
Second and third fill coats applied to topsides
Topside fiberglass sanded smooth.
Next I applied fiberglass to the splash well.
A epoxy filet is added around the under the roof.
Its time to install the Bow Eye. Here in this picture you can see where I bored through the plywood and glass from inside, The holes in the stem were drilled on the drill press before I installed the stem to the frame.
I have a had a time locating a bow eye that was long enough the reach through my stem. The stem is a 2×8 with two layers of 3/4” plywood lapped over the stem. This makes for an almost 9” thick stem. Standard bow eyes are 4” to 6 ”. After searching the internet for months I finally ran across a bow eye from a company in Fort Wayne, but they only sold wholesale. I put in a PM to our fellow Lumberjock Bob Current. Bob was able to aquire the Bow eye and shipped it to me. Thanks Bob!!!
As you can see this is a long Bow Eye
The bow eye front plate was wider than the rounded front of the boat.
I marked the area that needed to be changed.
Here is the area after it was flattened and then Fiber-glassed with two layers of fiberglass.
After I got the Bow eye holes fixed correctly I was able to get the boat primed. I put on two coats of High Build Rustoleum Marine Fiberglass Primer. Then I sanded this down smooth to get the orange peel feel off that the roller left.
All of the dash and inside pilot house panels have been glassed, primed, and painted.
This is after two coats of Rustoleum Marine Navy Blue Topside paint. This is the most forgiving paint I have ever used. You just roll it on. It self levels and drys to an almost buffed look. You can see yourself is the side of the boat.
I am going to a family reunion this weekend, but next week I will need to add one more coat of paint and then I can start installing all of the devices that penetrate the hull. Cleats, Bilge pump discharges, Fuel fill fittings, fuel tank vent, and others. After all of these are in I can close up the deck sides and start installing the rigging, finish the wiring and get on the white oak trim.
Thanks for Looking!!
-- John, Suffolk Virgina