I am at 153 hours on the build and the boat weighs 805 lbs.
In my last post I had finished installing all of the plywood. The bottom plywood still needed fairing to the edge of the side plywood and to the same angle as the side plywood. I had planned on doing this with a sander, after a comment from Paul (shipwright) I did this work with a power planer and man was that easy. I was able to keep the planer connected to my shop vac and there was no mess to be cleaned up either. Thanks, Paul.
Next I need to filll in all of the screw holes and the joints and seams between the sheets of plywood. To do this I mixed up some epoxy and wood flour. Wood flour cost $18.00 for 1/2 gallon. So having a 5 hp drum sander and plenty of scrap Douglass Fir left over from the frames I decided to make my own. I need the flour as fine as possible so I put a old 150 grit belt on the front drum of my sander, changed the bag in my duct collector and started sanding. Ten minutes later I had close to 3 gallons of Flour (fine saw dust).
I used this flour to mix with the epoxy to make the filler for filling all the holes and seams.
I then sanded this smooth and re-coated with filler and sanded again. Now it’s time to layout the first layer of fiberglass.
So I started on the bottom, then the sides, then the transom.
It took me 8 hours to get the bottom and one side wet out. I have discovered that I purchased the wrong grade cloth. What I have is 6 oz. 35×35 strands per inch cloth which is used as a finish cloth for airplane wings. You literally have to force the epoxy into the cloth. Regular 6 oz boat cloth is 18×18 strands per inch.
So I stopped for the night and the next morning I discovered that one of my 16 batches of epoxy from the day before was not curing. I gave it another day and after talking with Paul (shipwright) I decided to remove all of the fiberglass that was affected by the bad epoxy mix. Here is a video of the mess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK0qu_MV9tc
After removing the affected fiberglass I had to use Acetone to remove the uncured epoxy. Then I sanded the surface to get what had soaked into the wood fibers. I also sanded back into the good cured epoxy and fiberglass about 1 inch to give myself a good edge to bond to.
I then cut out fiberglass to fit my repair area and epoxied it in place. The next day I finished the other side and the transom.
The boat now has one layer of fiberglass on the entire outside of the hull. My plans call for two layers. I decided that I was not going to use any more of the finish grade cloth. Too much work. So I have ordered regular boat cloth from a boat parts supplier. I will add the next layer when it arrives. I will have to sand between coats to feather the edges of the fiberglass where it overlaps and sand off all runs and a light sanding on the entire boat to get a better bond with the next coat..
I will update in a week or so,
Thanks for looking.
-- John, Suffolk Virgina