LumberJocks

19 foot Offshore Power Dory Build #2: Continuing with the boat frame

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by English posted 01-02-2015 03:20 AM 3238 reads 1 time favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Getting Started Part 2 of 19 foot Offshore Power Dory Build series Part 3: Fairing the Frame »

I am at 65 hours now on this build.

This is just about the hardest project I have every taken on. My progress seems very slow at least to me. The past few weeks I have been working on getting the chine logs and sheer clamps installed. I am a power tool guy and this project is old school hand tools. I am getting a new respect for the old ways.

Next step is to install the chine logs and the sheer clamps. These boards need to be over 20 feet long to wrap around the edges of the boat. I had to scarf two 12’ yellow pine 1×4’ s together to get that length. This was my first attempt at a scarf joint. I drew the angle on the two boards.

Then I cut both boards at the same time with a Japanese pull saw.

When I was finished I realized that the taper was only 4 times the width of the board instead of the required 8 times.

So I built a jig with a 8 times taper.

I added a board to the bottom of my trim router and used a pattern bit to rout out the taper.

I cut all 8 board for my 4 scarf joints.

Then I put the boards on saw horses and epoxied the scarf joints.

They looked good but I learned another lesson. These are end joints. They wicked up all of the epoxy I put on the joints and the joints failed miserably. I sanded the joints smooth and reapplied the epoxy, letting it soak up all it wanted. Then I re-clamped very lightly and they held this time.

Next I had to cut the slots in the transom and the frames for the chine log. These cuts were done by hand with the pull saw, then I sanded and fitted each so the cut angle matched the lines of the boat.

Next I had to cut the slots in the transom and the frames for the chine log. These cuts were done by hand with the pull saw, then I sanded and fitted each so the cut angle matched the lines of the boat.

Here a picture of one of the chine logs fitted and ready for epoxy.

Another picture of the fitted chine log not epoxied.

Next I installed the chine log, with epoxy and held in place by 2 #10×3” SS deck screws at each frame, transom and stem.

chine log install continued

chine log install continued

Both chine logs installed and epoxied.

Next fit the sheer clamps. I prepared the slots for the sheer clamps the same as with the chine logs, only difference is the angle are greater due to the sweep of the beam of the boat.

The first sheer clamp board I started bending around the boat broke. The grain in the wood was not straight enough to handle the bend so the board you see on top of the boat is a new sheer clamp scarfed and curing.

I seem to take two steps forward then one or two back. but I am making progress. If I every build another boat I will know a lot more about how to do it.

Tomorrow I am going 100 miles north to Gwynns Island to look at a used boat trailer. I don’t need it yet but I found on Craigslist so I need to go while it’s available.

Thanks for looking.

-- John, Suffolk Virgina



2 comments so far

View johnstoneb's profile

johnstoneb

2147 posts in 1639 days


#1 posted 01-02-2015 03:01 PM

Keep going I am enjoying reading this.

-- Bruce, Boise, ID

View changeoffocus's profile

changeoffocus

457 posts in 1084 days


#2 posted 01-17-2015 12:45 AM

Reading backwards to catch up. WOW this is a mega project

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com